Recipe for Beginners – Pulao is the most comforting one pot meal. If you do not have much time but want to prepare a quick and comforting meal, then this is a perfect choice. People make pulao in so many different ways and there are many recipes and versions to it. This version is a basic recipe of a Vegetable pulao with a combination of fresh vegetables and basmati rice and aromatic flavour of whole garam masala.
Pulao – Rice with assorted vegetables and spices
Ghee/Oil 1 1⁄2 Tablespoon
Cumin seeds 1⁄2 Teaspoon
Cinnamon stick 1 Medium
Clove 2 Small
Bay leaves 1 Medium
Onion 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely
Green bell peppers 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely
Red bell peppers 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely
Ginger paste 1 Teaspoon
Garlic paste 1 Teaspoon
Green chili paste 1 Teaspoon
Carrots 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced
Green peas 2 Tablespoon (Frozen used)
Green beans 2 Tablespoon (Frozen used)
Cashews 1 Tablespoon
Raisins 1⁄2 Tablespoon
Basmati rice 1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), soaked, drained
Warm water 1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Use as required to cook the rice)
Saffron 1 Pinch (Few strands used)
1. Wash and rinse 1/2 cup of basmati rice. Soak for about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Drain (reserve the water for the cooking) and set aside.
3. Heat a pan with ghee and when the ghee melts, add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, clove and bay leaves.
4. Add the onions and saute a little till they turn translucent.
5. Add the green and red bell peppers and let it cook.
6. Add ginger, garlic and green chili paste. Saute well and add the green peas and green beans.
7. Saute the vegetables, cover and let it cook for a few minutes. Stir occasionally so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
8. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the cashews, raisins and the soaked and drained rice. Saute and let it cook uncovered for a couple of minutes.
9. Add 1 cup of warm water (you can use the same water in which the rice was soaked. Warm it slightly in the microwave oven and add it to the rice and vegetable mix). If later more water is required to cook the rice add hot water.
10. Let it cook half uncovered on a medium heat. Stir gently occasionally.
11. Once cooked, turn off the stove and keep it covered for a minute so that it cooks completely under the steam inside the covered pan.
12. Serve with a raita or pickle of your choice. Video Rating: / 5