Christy Morgan gives us a tour of quick-cooking, nutritious legumes and how to use them. Lentils take center stage in Christy’s recipe for a crunchy, zesty lentil salad with radish.
Lentil Salad with Radish
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes active, 40 minutes total
• 1 cup lentils
• 2–3 cups water
• 2 red radishes, trimmed and thinly-sliced
• 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, minced
• 1 Tbsp. tamari
• 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
• Dash of maple syrup
• 1⁄4 tsp. sea salt, or more to taste
• Pinch of black pepper
1. Sort through the lentils for stones or debris; rinse thoroughly, and drain. Add lentils and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Partially cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 30–35 minutes (or until lentils are soft when pinched between your fingers). Drain in a colander and rinse lentils briefly. Drain well.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the tamari, mustard, syrup, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Combine the lentils, radishes, tomatoes and oregano in a medium sized bowl and mix well. Pour in the dressing, mix well and season to taste.
Perfect with stuffed grape leaves and baked pita chips, or scooped into a pocket bread with a little hummus or baba ghanouj and/or a squeeze of lemon.
Find more Co+op Kitchen videos featuring information and easy recipes for making delicious meals at home, as well as handy hints from chefs and food enthusiasts who love sharing their passion for great food: www.youtube.com/user/CoopStrongerTogether
When it comes to cooking at home, choosing the right ingredients and understanding basic kitchen skills can make the difference between a good meal and an amazing one. The Co-op Kitchen iPad app is an interactive culinary resource that includes information and easy recipes for making delicious meals at home, as well as handy hints from chefs and food enthusiasts who love sharing their passion for great food.
– Find cooking videos and recipes right inside the app
– Follow along with the video and step-by-step instructions in your own kitchen
– Find your nearest food co-op using the Discover Co-ops section
– Surf StrongerTogether.coop for more great recipes and food information
– Share your favorite videos and recipes with your friends and family via email, Facebook and Twitter
Nutritionist Donna Weihoffen shares some recipes that use legumes.