Hot spicy jjamppong (1 serving)
Noodles for jjamppong, as well as…
for stock: 10 dried anchovies, 3 shiitake mushrooms, a handful of dried kelp (1/3 cup), half a medium size onion
meat and seafood:¼ cup of pork, 3 large shrimp, 4 mussels, a few pieces of squid
vegetables and seasoning:garlic, ginger, vegetable oil, oyster sauce, fish sauce, hot pepper flakes, ground black pepper, onion, carrot, green onions, leeks, white mushrooms, bamboo shoots.
Let’s start!First step: make stock
1. Pour 7 cups of water into a pot. Add 10 large dried anchovies (after removing heads and guts), a handful of dried kelp, half a medium sized onion, and 3 dried shiitake mushrooms.
2. Boil it for 10 minutes over high heat. Then lower the heat to low-medium and boil for 30 minutes more. Then set it aside
Second step: make mixture of hot pepper flakes and vegetable oil
1. In a small bowl, mix 1½ tbs of hot pepper flakes and 1 tbs of vegetable oil.*tip: The reason we make this mixture is to prevent the hot pepper flakes from floating in the soup when it boils. You can add or decrease the amount of hot pepper flakes and vegetable oil according to your taste
Third step: prepare seafood and meat
1. Cut squid in half lengthwise, then lightly cut the inside of the squid into a grid pattern.
2. Shell 3 large shrimp and 4 mussels per serving.
3. Cut ¼ cup of pork into thin strips.
Fourth step: prepare vegetables
1. Slice some carrot, cabbage, napa cabbage, onion, and white mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
2. Cut leeks and green onions into about 7 cm in length. Add some bamboo shoots.*tip: 3-4 cups worth of vegetables are used per serving.
Fifth step: cook noodles
1. Boil water in a large pot and add the noodles. Cook for a few minutes, then drain and rinse in cold water.*tip: When you cook the noodles, take a sample to see if it’s cooked fully or not. The noodles should be soft and chewy.
Now ready to cook!
1. In a heated pan, drop 1 tbs of vegetable oil, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1 ts of minced ginger and stir it until its color starts to change to golden brown.
2. Put pork strips into the pan and stir fry it for 2 minutes.
3. Put in vegetables (cabbage, napa cabbage, carrot , sliced onion, green onion, leeks, white mushrooms, and a few pieces of bamboo shoots) and stir for 3-5 minutes.
4. Lower the heat and put the mixture of hot pepper flakes and vegetable oil into the pot. Stir it.
5. Put in seafood (squid, shrimp, and mussels) and keep stirring.
6. Pour 5-6 cups of stock into the pan and boil it for about 5 minutes.
7. Skim off the foam from the top with a spoon.
8. Add 1 tbs of fish sauce, 1 tbs of oyster sauce, and a pinch of ground black pepper.
Ready to serve!
Put some noodles in a large serving bowl and pour the soup and cooked ingredients on top of the noodles. Serve it hot.
Here’s a basic recipe for egg drop soup using instant ramen noodles. Nothing fancy or health conscious just sharing a quick snack with a little classic twist. Enjoy!